Re: Got my new Home Server up and running..

From: "Ian Lowe" <ianlowe@xxxxxxx>

Just got back from playing "Rock Band" on the PS3 at a mates.
It's a laugh.

> well, it took a while planning, but I finally implemented my
> replacement server for the house.

I'm at that point now- need to do some consolidation- my electricity bill
is
over £80 pcm for a two-up two-down.

> In motherboard terms, I wanted something with PCI-X support (all the
> good raid cards seem to be PCI-X!) as well as VT support for running
> x64 VMs.

Me too

> I liked the look of ASUS' Professional Workstation range, and chose
the
> P5WDG2-WS Pro - an absolutely kick-ass board with 7 SATA connectors on
> board, PCI-e, PCI-X and able to handle loads of RAM.

Good find that- may have to emulate you there.

> 4Gb of OCZ RAM (probably the first thing I'll upgrade) finished off
the
> Spec, along with a silent nvidia Graphics Card (with component video
> out - just in case!).

2x 2GB or 4x1GB currently? I see this board has 4 slots.

> I experimented a bit with various OSes, and decided that for this job
> wanted to use Ubuntu 7.10 - the maturity of the Linux Kernel is just
> amazing now, and it can do some pretty funky tricks - as I found out.

Yeah may be time for another penguin bash here- although I don't trust ext3
since it munched a whole partition- the drive still reports as perfect.

> So, very cool technologies, big winners are the Quad Core proc
> (amazingly quick), vmware server - all this, for free?, Ubuntu 7.10
and
> Linux Raid

So any idea what the power usage is on this box? My 2TB store is on a
poweredge 2500 and uses just over 250w. I reckon is costs about £16
per
month.

Bro