Re: Got my new Home Server up and running..

  • Subject: Re: Got my new Home Server up and running..
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ianlowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 16:09:57 -0000

> Great read Ian, thanks for posting that!

No problem - it was fun typing it up ;)
=20
> Virtualisation is the future for this sort of thing I think.

Without a doubt - there are still things which it's not suitable for=20
(for instance, I can't run Albumplayer in the VMs - the sound=20
stutters and so on), but to be honest these restrictions are not such=20
a big deal.

One of the things that really swings it for me is the availability of=20
pre-built VMWare "appliances" for things like smoothwall,
gallery,=20
TrixBox and so on.

>  I'm sure it was a big outlay to build a box of that spec, but you
> have a system now that will run an incredible array of virtual=20
servers.

Not as much as I thought when I started building it - the final=20
budget was about =A3980.
=20
> Any chance of adding some photos and screen shots to the this?  I'd=20
> love to put on AH.

will do - I'll pop the side off this weekend and grab some pictures.

I had meant to take photos as I built it up, but the geek frenzy got=20
me, and I just tore right in!! :D