Re: Re: Heating controller protocol

On Dec 6, 2007 11:01 AM, Chris Hunter <cjhunter@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>  'surprised no-one's commented ... did we all know of VSCP ... how
>  would it fit with xAP, xPL, C-Bus, Idratek (the CAN connection), EIB,
>  etc ... would it add anything that isn't there already ???

I'm used to the "no comment"...  ;-)  Been working to long with
this
to drop it now so better finish it even if no one is interested. .

It is very easy to add different drivers to the daemon. xAP is already
available as a driver but if it still comply to there specs I don't
know because no one use it as far as I know. Everything else can be
done if someone wants it. For proprietary stuff it depends on how much
info that is available. Free API's etc.

What VSCP can do is to abstract such a thing as for example a simple
"ON" command. The abstraction let the receiving end know where
the ON
event comes from (by a GUID, globally unique id = 128-bit number) and
what zone/subzone should go to the "ON" state. The event is not
addressed. The sender just send the ON event to zone/subzone. It's the
receiving end that decide if it should react on it or not. It is also
the receiving side that decide if a reply/acknowledge should be sent.

Anyway the end result of the abstraction is that it is easy to mix
different technologies. X10 work alongside EIB, xAP, RF-links,
GPRS/SMS etc etc. It is up to the higher level to assure that the
outcome of the event is what is expected by checking appropriate
events.

I expect a future where a lot of different protocols need to work
together. VSCP can bind them all together.

>  is there (thinking more laterally) even an iPhone connection (via the
>  Developer opening that 's said to be due before Easter) ... for VSCP
>  (& for xAP & xPL) ?

Nothing in progress but it would be easy to do. Anyway with OHAS
(http://www.vscp.org/wiki/doku.php?id=ohas_server),
if you can reach a
web server with your phone and it can handle AJAX (Javascript), you
can get a good control interface.

>  'not sure about Tellstick ... for us, anyway, the X-10 approach is
>  flawed (reliability / feedback issues), and Tellstick would seem to
>  be just a maybe better version of the same ... 'though there could be
>  niche applications (eg: might save the pain of adding Cat-5e to our
>  garden wiring) ...

Agree that X10 isn't good. Personally don't like it much. Still a lot
of people do and we support it. The different 433 MHz protocols around
is not much better and with very different quality. For NEXA that we
sell I would say it is much better than X10 but still it annoying not
to know that a lamp, for example, actually was turned on. I think most
of us can live with that for stuff like a lamp in a window, Christmas
lights etc. It's not enough for serious thing's though.

Anyone here on the list that actually used a Zigbee module for home
automation?

/Ake

--
---
Ake Hedman (YAP - Yet Another Programmer)