Heating controller protocol

  • Subject: Heating controller protocol
  • From: "bruce33sw" <watson2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 21:32:11 -0000

Hi all,

I've recently installed some very nice Heatmiser kit - 2 room
thermostats and a UH1 and, with some kindly help from this and other
groups, managed to cobble together a bit of command line C to control
them remotely over their 485 bus from a linux box serial port. Nice to
be able to log in remotely and turn on/off the heating. Early days but
so far, so good.

The next stage is to get a control interface sorted out and before I
re-invent the wheel, as usual, I thought I'd ask if anyone knows of an
open source protocol/server that I could implement the interface to
for the Heatmisers. What I mean here is I could write some code (say C
or java) that ran as a service that would control the Heatmisers and
allow other open third party UI modules (written by others or myself).

I have seen some excellent stuff going on with xpl but it seems to
have more of a windows focus and therefore may not fit the bill for me.

Does anyone know of such an open protocol/API?

Cheers, Bruce.

P.S. Has anyone contacted Heatmiser before to see if they would
support open source tools for their devices (in the hope it
sells more units for them)? i.e. I'd like to open source the (very
simple) stuff I've done. I should say my reason for buying their
controllers and UH1 in the first place was because there was a chance
I could control them remotely.