Joining Cat5 + Wall Cabinets

  • Subject: Joining Cat5 + Wall Cabinets
  • From: "Steve Healey" <steve.healey@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 00:04:13 -0000

Hi All,

Just after some suggestions and recommendations on the following:

I need to move a patch panel and its 50 (ish) cables to another room which
requires the cables to be extended by about 15 meters due to some new
building work - I know bad planning . . . I just didn't  include the 'wife
will change mind factor' when I planned the original network.

I need to remove the current patch panels and will only have about a 30cm
(w) x 25cm (d) x 1m (h) to play with, or I can pull the cable back up to
the
first floor void -  Does anyone have any suggestions on joining so many
cables?

I plan to change the current cabinet to a larger one to include add new
switch and possible a rack mounted NAS (should be able to hide the cost as
part of the 'modifications' budget J), so need something about 18U + with a
decent carrying weight, I'm guessing 25kg +.  Any recommendations or
suggestions?

Many thanks,

Steve