Re: External access to cortex

  • Subject: Re: External access to cortex
  • From: "Paul Bendall" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 10:33:17 -0000

Jon,

Keep us informed on how you get on, I keep thinking of playing with
the web interface of Cortex but present it through IIS and make
it "prettier".

In your situation have you also considered an SSL VPN back into your
home? I have a Linksys RVL200 which allows me to tunnel back into
home. The beauty of SSL for me is that it even works at work with a
Proxy server.

Paul

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Jon Wilkins" <jonpdwilkins@...>
wrote:

> Hmm..
>
> Sounds like my best bet will be to see if I can get the php
scripts on my
> exposed web server  parsing & requesting correctly.
>
> I've never yet had a reason to fully understand XML/XSL (it's
pretty much
> the one grey area of web technology to me .. ).  Now (or soon)
perhaps the
> time to learn.  I've just found the XSL selection dialog (there is
SO much
> in cortex!) and I can see the XSLs are probably a way for me to
cut down to
> exactly what I need to expose.
>
> Though there's no question of exposing Cortex externally (dont
want spotty
> net oiks turning off my heating!) --- nothing other than my server
will be
> allowed to connect, and that will be moved into a DMZ once I've got
> appropriate cabling run.  Initially it was going to straddle
DMZ/private but
> with hindsight I should use a separate reverse proxy as you
mention -- to
> keep machine count & power down I'd probably use Zen/VMware &
separate
> interfaces (bridge not route).
>
> Things to think about when work gets dull...
>
> It sounds like what I want to do (simple connections from another
machine)
> are probably do-able, just need to find the least painful way to
do it.

> jon
>

> On Dec 1, 2007 11:57 PM, David Gumbrell <david.gumbrell@...>
wrote:

> >   I'm not much of a web guy (more from lack of time than
anything else),
> > but I
> > was planning to put a reverse proxy in my DMZ rather than expose
Cortex
> > directly.
> >
> > I think that the web pages are generated by processing the XML
with XSL,
> > and
> > there is an alternate "phone" page supplied, and I
understand
that you
> > could
> > tweak the xsl to get what you needed. What I don't know is
whether you can
> > create many alternate stylings for multiple different purposes.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > David
> >

> > On 01/12/2007, Jon Wilkins <jonpdwilkins@...<jonpdwilkins%
40gmail.com>>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > My public-facing server is php/apache on linux, so I am
hoping
that I
> > > can
> > > avoid the need for an windows-based intergration layer -- I
can hack the
> > > appropriate php but last time did any serious windows
development was
> > 8-10
> > > years ago !!!
> > >
> > > XML sounds like a hopeful route ... I'm not wanting to do
much
other
> > than
> > > small number of set things (disable heat/water for X days)
so
hopefully
> > > that'll keep it simple. Though doubtless as soon as I manage
to get that
> > > happening I'd find many other good-to-do ideas....
> > >
> > > On Dec 1, 2007 6:54 PM, Paul Bendall < paul@...<paul%
40lexfordparc.co.uk>