Extending 1080p resolution video + audio over Cat 5 - Gefen or KAT5?

  • Subject: Extending 1080p resolution video + audio over Cat 5 - Gefen or KAT5?
  • From: "nakbrooks" <ukzxcvb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 14:42:24 -0000

I'm looking to extend component video + SPDIF audio over Cat5. The
solution needs to be able to handle 1080p with no glitches.  Cable
lengths of up to 50 meters, using Cat5e UTP.

Both the Component Video version of the KAT5 RGB units and the Gefen
Component Video w/Audio extender (link
<http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=4141>
) seem to be able
to do this.

Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison of these two products, or
have any views on their relative merits? Or can anyone recommend a
3rd product I should be looking at?

The one obvious plus that the KAT5 unit has is the ability to extend
IR - with the Gefen I'd need to use a second Cat5 cable and a
separate IR extender - but I don't know whether the Gefen has any
compensating benefits. The KAT5 unit can also daisy-chain, but I'm
not sure I need that.

Any help would be very useful - I'm looking to install 10 extenders
(including one for a 1080p projector, 2 for 1080p LCDs and the rest
for lower def LCDs/CRTs) so the cost is considerable and I don't want
to make the wrong choice!

Many thanks