Re: PIC Programming - a where to start...

Hiya Kim!

Kim Wall wrote:
> I can recommend http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=37192
as a
> nice cheap programmer for some of the smaller PICs.

Seen that! looks like a good start!

> The PICList <http://www.piclist.com/> is a good
source of ideas and
> knowledge, if a bit overwhelming in volume.

More reading!

> I won't say much about software, I prefer programming in assembly
> language

Its been a while - but I used to code 6502 and z80 in my youth! not
really looked at the assembly language for these yet.

One thing I did wonder with the basic compiler, does it compile down to
an efficient code or is there loads of 'house keeping' stuff it adds in
to lessen code crashes etc... (there is a term for this but it escapes
me at the min!)

> What I will say, is that I find having an actual project helps build
up
> that critical mass of experience.  Once you've got your software and
I have a few simple things - I was wondering about a fan controller (not
very taxing I guess) that would have temperature sensor's and adjust it
accordingly - that kinda moved on a little to maybe have an eithernet
port so I could watch what it was sensing via the lan (simple telnet
type server or somthing like that).
The other thing that may well work (and I know I am probably reinventing
wheels here but I guess its a good start?) was an RGB controller for
those Ikea lights the list was talking about recently. Where I saw that
going was to have seperate RGB dials that would be translated to
relevant brightnesses but also talking that on to have LAN interfaces
for IP based reading and setting. Maybe interface to a small touch
screen that would have virtual 'sliders' to select RGB levels and set up
presets etc... Starting to wander WAY past beginner here - but you never
know.

> My other top tip: don't be tempted to use an RC oscillator for
anything
> timing critical (I learned this on my first PIC project,
Don't they have their own internal crystals?

> Oh, and the 16F84 is overrated.
Any other recommendations?

Cheers again for the feedback :)
Wayne.