Re: Plaster "nibbler"

  • Subject: Re: Plaster "nibbler"
  • From: "Jonathan Shaw" <semi.jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 18:32:22 -0000

wrote:

> > Does anyone know of a source of a "plaster nibbler".
> >
> > I want to cut some cat5 cables into a wall but not make a mess,
so
> > just looking for a tool that will dig out the plaster in a
> controlled
> > manner, to make a slot that I can then cover and refill.
> >
> > Tried the usual suspects such as Screwfix but can't find anything
> > (unless I've missed it!).
>
> Probably overkill but it'll do the job...
>
> http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Makita-SG1250-Wall-Chaser-
31163.htm

> or
>
> http://www.metabo.co.uk/metabo/uk/en/produkte/wallchasers/
> 1400wattelectronicwallchasermfe30_6_01119_38.html
>
> I'd use...
>
> http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/1/product-Fein-FMM-250Q-
MultiMaster-
> Top-603779.htm

Silverline do a similar tool to the Makita for about 1/10 of the
cost, doubtless will not last as long but I am sure fine for
occasional domestic use.
Not seen the Fein type of tool before - interesting.

> If you're working with plaster and want to avoid a mess, the vacuum
> cleaner is a critical part of the equipment.

Totally agree with that.  I have used a cheap channel cutter with a
Vax attached and it wasn't that dirty - but then there was no
furniture in the room.  Some people use an angle grinder with a
diamond blade, but without a dust extract cover even a brief cut will
fill the room with dust which willthen migrate through the whole
house:-(

One question - how deep is the plaster?  Cat 5 cable will be ~5mm, so
you will need about 8mm min depth to place the cable clip and then
get a decent cover skim.  Should be OK for plaster board but may not
be for a dolid wall.

HTH
Jon