Custom error page for WEB BROWSER

  • Subject: Custom error page for WEB BROWSER
  • From: ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:12:10 +0100

Hi All,

Has anyone found a way to get a web browser to display a fixed HTML
file in the event of a failed navigation rather than the standard
error pages displayed in IE and Firefox.

I have googled extensively and not found an answer so either what I
want to do it totally unique or it cant be done :(

I am fully aware of custom 404 etc pages that you put on a server but
they wont help in this instance.

I am working on an intranet application that displays info on a screen
using web page either asp or php etc and the pages self refresh
automatically.

The problem I have is that if for some reason the page doesnt load or
the server cant be reached the browser will throw up its error page
and there it sits looking none too nice. Because these machines are
displays only there is no way to click on a link to refresh or get
anywhere else !!!

What I want to do is display a page from the LOCAL hard drive of the
PC eg c:/pnf.html which would have some content to give a nice display
along with a refresh tag so that after 10 seconds it would fire off to
http://myServer/myApplication/index.asp
or wherever to restart itself.

If once again the server wasnt available it would display my error
page and repeat the process every 10 seconds until it was back.

I have the page working perfectly.... I just need a way to make the
browser display this page if it cant reach its intended target.

This HAS to be on the CLIENT machine and NOT the server as any loss of
connectivity would stop it working.

Thanks

Keith