From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Wayne
Sent: 12 August 2007 21:51
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] Cooling Node 0 (or your spare cupboard under the stairs!)

Hi all,
I was just wondering what the outcome from the recent discussions of
cooling node 0 (or the 'IT' cupboard in my case!).

Mines starting to get, shall we say, a little warm these days (
especially since sticking a new switch in there ). I was wondering if it
would be a false economy to use 12v pc fans - the 120mm versions. Maybe
4 or 5 or so hooked up to a spare pc psu. The location of the cupboard
is nice as it has direct access to the loft so I could vent the air up
there.

I would imagine I need to build a box or something to mount the fans in
- with maybe some sort of dust filter of sorts. In my case the psu and
fan units could be stuck in the loft (there's power). I guess I could
also use those 'power mids' to keep an eye on the temp and control the
speed of the fans.

The only thing thats going to be a problem is if it generates a whole
load of noise. The missus wont get on with that one!

Cheers
Wayne.

a fyi.

Quiet 120mm fans http://tinyurl. <http://tinyurl.com/2gu65b>