X10^2 Micromodules - CBUS ?

  • Subject: X10^2 Micromodules - CBUS ?
  • From: Gareth Cook <g@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 17:38:39 +0100

Marcus

I can see a potential CBUS enablement here. I've got CAT5 all over the=20
house (around 140 feeds and not even finished), but CBUS enabling all
the=20
mains sockets etc was not really viable.

Now , instead of uses raw X10 modules round the house, these may be an=20
option. You say in your review the switching system is low voltage - how=20
low ? CAT5 spec low ? Low ampage ?

I could then use the CAT5 to feed the local switching via the CBUS
relays=20
(or even the Comfort relays). The new X10 modules appear to be much much=20
quieter, and I'd be using these X10 modules in a non-x10 capacity.

Do you know the ratings of these latching mechanisms ?

G.

Gareth Cook
IT Architect / Project Manager, SWG Sales Europe
Office: +44 (0)1784 445166 - Mobile: +44 (0)7980 445166
email: g@xxxxxxx

=20
----- Forwarded by Gareth Cook/UK/IBM on 11/08/2007 17:29 -----

Discussion
Main Topic

ukha_d@xxxxxxx
07/08 09:52

.
Subject:
.
[ukha_d] X10^2  Micromodules - FYI
.
Category:

A few weeks ago we were discussing the X10^2  Micromodules that are=20
available from Kevin Lo in Hong Kong (via eBay). There was some discussion=
=20
over they're ability to be used with latched and momentary switches,
with=20
the outcome being that they did work with momentary switches.

=20

Given this information, I ordered a couple of the "dual appliance
modules"=
=20
which for =A324.99 each seemed like a absolute bargain (that's 12.49 per=20
appliance device!). The intention was to use one to replace a couple of=20
AD10 modules that control our dining room lights, as I'm sick of the
loud=20
"Clunk" that they makes every time we switch the lights on or
off. The=20
other was to be used to try and have the cooker hood lights linked to
the=20
main kitchen lighting.

=20

The modules were ordered via Kevin's shop on eBay, and arrived 2 days=20
later .. wow, 2days from Hong Kong to the UK.. quicker than some of our=20
domestic post!

=20

Once the modules arrived , the first problem became apparent. The switch=20
side of the module is LOW VOLTAGE, not high voltage like in an LD11 or=20
AD10.  There are 3 wires Red/Blue/Black, and by shorting Red to Black or=20
Blue to Black  relay 1 or 2 are toggled. This probably wouldn't make a lot=
=20
of difference if you where mounting them behind a switch (the usual=20
purpose), since the switch would be simply detached from the normal high=20
voltage wires and  the low voltage wires from the module would be wired=20
directly to the switch. In my case this was a bigger problem because I=20
wanted to mount the module in a remote consumer box ,where the AD10=20
currently was. The "switch wire" was a single T&E from the
ceiling rose,=20
that supplied the "switching live" to the AD10 (on the black) and
then=20
returned the actual "live" (on the red) on the other wire. This
meant that=
=20
I only had one wire for the switch and the module required 2. Since this=20
was all Low Voltage I decided to utilise the earth wire as the second=20
wire... not ideal but at least it made the project possible.=20

=20

Once this "little" problem was solved and everything was
connected up the=20
next problem arose.  The switch would work fine connected to a latching=20
style switch (and the relay is barely audible)  but not when connected
to=20
a momentary switch. After much head scratching and cursing I emailed=20
Kevin, who contacted his R&D department. After couple of days Kevin
got=20
back to me with the bad news... the dual appliance modules do NOT work=20
with momentary switches. The single appliance modules DO work with=20
momentary switches.. but only Normally Closed style.

=20

---- Start Snip - Kevins email ----

=20

Dear Marcus ,

=20

I just got the confirmation with R&D

=20

If you want to use Momentary Switch , you MUST use Normal Close
Momentary=20
Switch.

And only One Load Appliance Micro Module can use it , Two Load Appliance=20
Micro Module cannot use it.

And the installation method have a little bit different.

1)    Install the One Load Appliance Micro Module at Ceiling ( or near the=
=20
Lamp )

2)    Hole 1 connect to Lamp=20

Hole N connect the Neutral Wire

Hole L connect the Wire from Wall Switch

3)    Install the Normal Close Momentary Wall Switch at the back box , one=
=20
hole connect Live Wire , another hole connect the cable to Micro Module
(=20
That mean use the Momentary Wall Switch to control the power supply to=20
Micro Module)

4)    Micro Module enter "Setup" mode and send Bright Command

5)    So if the Micro Module is ON , when you press the Momentary Wall=20
Switch for cut the power , then supply power again , the Micro Module will=
=20
OFF

Now the micro module is OFF , when you press the Momentary Wall=20
Switch for cut the power then supply power again , the micro module will=20
ON

=20

---- End Snip - Kevins email ----

=20

Kevin's, customer support has been absolutely fantastic in all this and=20
having now established how these modules work and that they are not=20
suitable for my application he has issued a full  refund (including all=20
postage costs).  If , given the above info, the modules are suitable for=20
you then I have no problem fully recommending Kevin as a supplier.

=20

Marcus=20

Unless stated otherwise above:
IBM United Kingdom Limited - Registered in England and Wales with number=20
741598.=20