X10^2 Micromodules - FYI

A few weeks ago we were discussing the X10^2  Micromodules that are
availab=
le from Kevin Lo in Hong Kong (via eBay). There was some discussion over
th=
ey're ability to be used with latched and momentary switches, with the
outc=
ome being that they did work with momentary switches.

=20

Given this information, I ordered a couple of the "dual appliance
modules" =
which for =A324.99 each seemed like a absolute bargain (that's 12.49 per
ap=
pliance device!). The intention was to use one to replace a couple of AD10
=
modules that control our dining room lights, as I'm sick of the loud
"Clunk=
" that they makes every time we switch the lights on or off. The other
was =
to be used to try and have the cooker hood lights linked to the main
kitche=
n lighting.

=20

The modules were ordered via Kevin's shop on eBay, and arrived 2 days
later=
.. wow, 2days from Hong Kong to the UK.. quicker than some of our domestic=
post!

=20

Once the modules arrived , the first problem became apparent. The switch
si=
de of the module is LOW VOLTAGE, not high voltage like in an LD11 or AD10.
=
There are 3 wires Red/Blue/Black, and by shorting Red to Black or Blue to =
Black  relay 1 or 2 are toggled. This probably wouldn't make a lot of
diffe=
rence if you where mounting them behind a switch (the usual purpose),
since=
the switch would be simply detached from the normal high voltage wires and=
the low voltage wires from the module would be wired directly to the swit=
ch. In my case this was a bigger problem because I wanted to mount the
modu=
le in a remote consumer box ,where the AD10 currently was. The "switch
wire=
" was a single T&E from the ceiling rose, that supplied the
"switching live=
" to the AD10 (on the black) and then returned the actual
"live" (on the re=
d) on the other wire. This meant that I only had one wire for the switch
an=
d the module required 2. Since this was all Low Voltage I decided to
utilis=
e the earth wire as the second wire... not ideal but at least it made the
p=
roject possible.=20

=20

Once this "little" problem was solved and everything was
connected up the n=
ext problem arose.  The switch would work fine connected to a latching
styl=
e switch (and the relay is barely audible)  but not when connected to a
mom=
entary switch. After much head scratching and cursing I emailed Kevin, who
=
contacted his R&D department. After couple of days Kevin got back to me
wit=
h the bad news... the dual appliance modules do NOT work with momentary
swi=
tches. The single appliance modules DO work with momentary switches.. but
o=
nly Normally Closed style.

=20

---- Start Snip - Kevins email ----

=20

Dear Marcus ,

=20

I just got the confirmation with R&D

=20

If you want to use Momentary Switch , you MUST use Normal Close Momentary
S=
witch.

And only One Load Appliance Micro Module can use it , Two Load Appliance
Mi=
cro Module cannot use it.

And the installation method have a little bit different.

1)    Install the One Load Appliance Micro Module at Ceiling ( or near the
=
Lamp )

2)    Hole 1 connect to Lamp=20

Hole N connect the Neutral Wire

Hole L connect the Wire from Wall Switch

3)    Install the Normal Close Momentary Wall Switch at the back box , one
=
hole connect Live Wire , another hole connect the cable to Micro Module (
T=
hat mean use the Momentary Wall Switch to control the power supply to
Micro=
Module)

4)    Micro Module enter "Setup" mode and send Bright Command

5)    So if the Micro Module is ON , when you press the Momentary Wall
Swit=
ch for cut the power , then supply power again , the Micro Module will OFF

Now the micro module is OFF , when you press the Momentary Wall Swit=
ch for cut the power then supply power again , the micro module will ON

=20

---- End Snip - Kevins email ----

=20

Kevin's, customer support has been absolutely fantastic in all this and
hav=
ing now established how these modules work and that they are not suitable
f=
or my application he has issued a full  refund (including all postage
costs=
).  If , given the above info, the modules are suitable for you then I
have=
no problem fully recommending Kevin as a supplier.

=20

Marcus=20