Making an older PC quieter

  • Subject: Making an older PC quieter
  • From: "JonShaw" <semi.jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 22:31:23 +0100

I have an old Athlon PC that will become my 24x7 machine for the short
term,
it is powerful enough for what I need, but a bit noisy.  The PSU and
northbridge are the main culprits.

Quietpc.com do PSUs, does anyone have experience of their kit.  I don't
want
to scrimp on the PSU if it will be more efficient, but dopn't want to spend
vastly on my old PC if it doesn't make a different.  FWIW currently it
sucks
about 150W in normal running, so a fairly lowly quiet PSU would be fine.

Any ideas on how to tack the northbridge?  I have an old Zalman flower
cooler fan and mount which would blwo air over the heat sink but not sure
if
the board temp monitors this?  Would I find out if it was inadequate if it
kept rebooting?  Is there another way?

TIA

Jon