Re: Advice and assistance required, Please Help!!!.

  • Subject: Re: Advice and assistance required, Please Help!!!.
  • From: "Jonathan Shaw" <semi.jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 22:21:26 +0100

The plasterers are in my place now so having completed first fix my
advice
would be to think very carefully about what you want to do with the cables
before just bunging cat5e in to wall plates.

e.g. if you want an alarm you need cables to PIRs in the corners of rooms
and possibly also door and window switches.  Cat5 isn't as flexible as
alarm
able so it may not be the best choice for these applications.

If you want to control lights you need to work out your lighting design and
run the appropriate cables to the right locations and decide how you will
switch and or dim and where they will be located.

For sockets you need different cables again and still different for 12V for
powering curtain motors etc.

If controlling heating cat5 will do but you may want to run that to the
radiator TRVs or UFH zone actuators.

For surround sound you need speaker cable, for whole house audio you need
decide on switching at the speaker level or provide for one of the
proprietary systems using possibly cat5 .

For an Ethernet/phone network plus some entertainment cat5 everywhere
works,
but if you want more then you need to plan the cabling very carefully.

FWIW I started thinking about HA about a year ago when I realized that
prices had got to the point I could afford.  Not being an electronics buff
it has taken a huge amount of brain cycles and effort to get the place
cabled.  I have lost count of the amount I've put in, but its well over 1km
of cat5 plus hundreds of meters of other cables e.g. ~150m for 7.1 surround
sound in 1 (not huge) room!

Think though all the things you would like to be able to do in your time
there and plan carefully.  I have laid lots of conduit to allow for
changes,
but its not something I'd recommend as it is very labourious and for
anything other than straight runs difficult to replace or run new cables
due
to friction in the duct/ available space/ access to the end points.

Good luck!

Jon

>Also bung in some decent coax for aerial/satelite too... one thing I
didn't
do and I regret it (specifically for DVB cards in PCs).