Re: Re: Zoned Heating Control

'think we're saying the same thing in different ways ... increasing
the UFH water temp' will increase the 'gradient between 'pipe & air
in the room ... ... given that the distance between the two is a
constant, as it were ... !

linoleum ... 'not heard that ... 'quick Google suggests it depends on
type ... maybe it's the  cushion-floor types that are no-go ?

Chris

On 29 Apr 2007, at 23:58, rb_ziggy wrote:

> [...]
> of a pro job.  IIRC this system still needs some expansion gaps at the
> edges - at the end of the day, wood moves.  I'd love to find out how
> those no-skirting floors are done - they do look great.
>
> - A friend had an old parquet floor glued down.  Flooded and the floor
> rose up in a dome about 12-18 inches high - didn't go back down
> either.  But that was the least of his worries!
>
> - polished screed - interesting. Add an interesting aggregate
> perhaps...
>
> - Epoxy paint - interesting - garage floor???
>
> - Lino - I fancied this but, guess what, its a great insulator and one
> of the few finishes that the UF guys didn't recommend (really).  (I
> wondered if it might get soft if it was warmed???)
>
> Please do that the last few with a pinch of salt. Good luck.
>
> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Chris Hunter <cjhunter@...> wrote:
>>
>> Richard -
>>
>> thanks ... interesting ...
>>
>> rather than temperature gradient, I guess it'll be rate of heat
>> supply, that would be the constant, for a given room, with a
higher
>> temperature gradient between UFH pipe & air in the room being
needed
>> to drive the heat through if there's more resistance, because of
>> carpet or underlay, say ... and the higher temperature in the
pipes
>> that that would need would lead to some loss of efficiency, thanks
>> greater heat losses upstream from the UFH and basic thermodynamics
>> (small temperature differences being more efficient in any
>> thermodynamic / heat-cycle, IIRC) ...
>>
>> 'must say, I'm edgy about loose-floating the wooden covering &
>> leaving a gap at the edge .... noise issues & what happens if
there's
>> a flood !   Plus, we intend not having skirting boards !
>>
>> when we started our build, we had floor-grade hardboard on our
list
>> of options ... didn't sound a good idea, until I got a sample of
the
>> material ... it's still an option (suitably sealed) !
>>
>> 'wonder if it would be possible to leave the screed (anhydrous)
>> uncovered ('might have to be sealed, I guess) ... or if an epoxy
>> paint could be good ??
>>
>> if it was up to me, I think I'd go for welded linoleum, but 'wife
>> wants wood !
>>
>> Chris
>>

>> On 29 Apr 2007, at 09:13, rb_ziggy wrote:
>>
>>> Bit of a gap - been away since your post!
>>>
>>> I wouldn't worry about the underlay. All these 'engineered'
wooden
>>> floors work this way.  The planks are glued/locked together
and the
>>> whole floor 'floats' loose on the screed.  This is what allows
it to
>>> expand and contract without self destructing.  As long as the
whole
>>> floor is subject to the same conditions (and it will be with
UF)
>>> then
>>> there are no problems with differential expansion (i.e caused
by
>>> damp
>>> one side and dry the other).
>>>
>>> I think the underlay does two things, it reduces noise (as
stated
>>> before) and it can (if you use the thick stuff) give a bit
more
>>> insulation to the slab.  You don't need the latter in a
under-slab
>>> insulated house so just go for the 2-3mm underlay.
>>>
>>> It doesn't need any additional calculations / pipe as such.
(Adding
>>> more pipe running at a lower temperature is actually a waste
of
>>> money
>>> as it's the temperature gradient that is the determining
factor.)
>>> From what I remember, the wood + underlay creates no more of a
>>> thermal
>>> barrier than carpet. The company supplying can easily take
these
>>> factors into account when they design the pipe layout.  Most
supply
>>> you with a specific piping layout on your plans.
>>>
>>> With underlay, it doesnt feel markedly 'softer' - just like a
>>> 'normal'
>>> (slightly 'sprung'???) wood floor.  But it's a lot less hard
than
>>> ceramic tiles.
>>>
>>> We something like 120m2 of engineered wood flooring over uf
and it
>>> works flawlessly for over 5 years.
>>>
>>> Richard

this ...