Re: The Speccy - 25 yours on

OMG I remember seeing my first Atari 800 at a computer show complete
with the greatest space combat game ever - Star Raiders

I spent the whole show playing it!!!

The major problem was that they were so damn expensive!!  I
eventually got a 400 then a 800XL then moved on to the ST range.

Does anyone remember the 4 player space mining game Mule - the
grandaddy of social gaming.

Adrian

On 26 Apr 2007, at 09:22, Paul Gordon wrote:

> NO NO NO! - you're all wrong...
>
> The *BEST* micros of the time were the Atari ranges, firstly the Atari
> 400 and 800's then the 600XL & 800XL's (and I even recall a 1200XL
> model
> as well IIRC). These were by far and away the best machines for
> playing
> games, with *better* sound and graphics chips than any
> Speccy/VIC20/C64/BBC machine, (In fact, I recall the Atari's were the
> first micros in the world to use custom dedicated ASIC coprocessors
> for
> these tasks), full support for all the Atari games console peripherals
> (joysticks, paddles etc.) - *and* even the games themselves, with a
> cartridge slot right on top. As well as the games console peripherals,
> they also had their own dedicated ones, such as a cassette drive, a
> 5.25" floppy disk drive, thermal printers, modems, etc...
>
> Worth noting that these machines were designed by the same guy who
> later
> went on to design the Commodore Amiga - widely regarded as the best
> sound & graphics machine of *its* time... Also Apple founders
Steve