Dimmable Compact Fluorescent & multimeter

  • Subject: Dimmable Compact Fluorescent & multimeter
  • From: "Jonathan Shaw" <semi.jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 07:57:40 -0000

When recently browsing at Rapid Electronics I came across the=20
Megaman range of CFLs which are suitable for dimming.
http://tinyurl.com/36ee6y=20
They switch between light levels by toggling the power supply so can=20
be dimmed by an ordinary switch or relay.
They are "2700k warmwhite" which is actually quite a pleasant
light=20
and start-up is quick.
On the downside they are only 11W (60W equivalent) and so far I've=20
only actually managed to get it to switch between 2 levels rather=20
than the 4 it claims. The dicso effect of trying to find the other=20
levels brought protest from SWMBO, but she liked the light colour!

Unrelated but I also bought a new auotranging multimeter for ~=A320=20
and am really impressed with the features and value.=20=20
http://tinyurl.com/2odzsn=20
It may sound strange but I'd been looking for one that beeped in the=20
continuity test (so Idon't have to look to check its a circuit) and=20
could resolve to ~1ohm.  This one does while when I'd looked at=20
Maplin I their resolution at a similar price point was poor and none=20
of the "assistants" or the web site indicated if the
continuity=20
beeped.
It isn't quite a fast in swichting ranges as my 18yr old fluke=20
(which I lost) but it it lasts as long great VFM.

Jon