Linking XBMC into HomeVision / Comfort / CBUS - HowTo

  • Subject: Linking XBMC into HomeVision / Comfort / CBUS - HowTo
  • From: Gareth Cook <g@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 18:29:39 +0100

I've finally cracked it - linking the XBOX into the Comfort/CBUS
system,=20
although will work just as well with HomeVision, etc al.=20

All my gear is in Node 0, sent over KAT5 modules. There's a plasma on
the=20
wall in the lounge, and thats it - no other electrical gear in there.=20
Speakers in the ceiling. I like it neat :-) On the wall I have a CBUS DLT.=
=20
To control the Plasma, there's a "TV On/Off" switch, and for the
XBOX, the=
=20
same.

The XBOX is only powered by the front remote - although the X3IR can do=20
this, it's IR - I like hard wired solutions.

The Plasma is controlled via a UCM / RS232 from Comfort.
The Amp (also in Node0) is controlled via Comfort with an IRM01 Infrared=20
emitter (=A320)
The XBOX is the tricky one, until I bought an X3 IR (which , now, I have=20
no need for). It made me think about how it was controlling the XBOX.

Firstly, to link the XBOX in, I've taken a pair of wires to the front=20
power button to a Comfort relay (a CBUS relay would do just as well). When=
=20
activated, Comfort holds it open for a short while simulating the button=20
press. Thing is, it's a toggle - you dont know its current state and=20
manually turning the xbox on/off will throw any sequence out you might try=
=20
and put in.

Because of the X3IR, I now know the XBOX chucks out 3.3v when turned on.=20
Great, so my first attempt was to wire this direct into Comfort and read=20
it's voltage - whcih worked - but I had to ask for the voltage, and a=20
change of state outside of Comfort/CBUS didnt tell the system. So now, I=20
have a small relay (CPC part number SW100), and this in turn is wired into=
=20
a Comfort input. So as soon as power state changes, Comfort instantly=20
knows as it triggers a zone input.

For example, if you used the front button on the xbox, or the remote to=20
turn it off via the XBMC shutdown menu, Comfort now knows and activates=20
the response.

Pressing Plasma On on the DLT tells Comfort to issue an ON via RS232,
and=20
Select the TV Input on the Amp. XBOX On checks the input value, and if=20
off, toggles the front button. Also, if the Plasma if Off, it triggers the=
=20
Plasma On response, etc, etc

For the pinouts of the different revisions of the XBOX's, see this X3IR=20
doc (bottom of the page) - it's the GND and 3.3v (not 3.3STB) that you can=
=20
feed to a relay and then use as an input trigger.
http://www.xbox-modchips.com/tutorials/x3-ir-mod-tutorial.htm

I'm going to see if I can now supply 3.3v to the X3IR (as it's=20
programmable) and use that as a general trigger for anything (it will=20
produce and off and off) via comfort and cbus. Mebe just pressing SKY on=20
the Sky+ remote will trigger the Plasma On responses for example...

G.

Gareth Cook
IT Architect / Project Manager, SWG Sales
Office: +44 (0)1784 445166 - Mobile: +44 (0)7980 445166
email: g@xxxxxxx

=20

Unless stated otherwise above:
IBM United Kingdom Limited - Registered in England and Wales with number=20
741598.=20