Re: RFXCOM to HomeSeer and other HA apps via xAP - and other GUI's ..

  • Subject: Re: RFXCOM to HomeSeer and other HA apps via xAP - and other GUI's ..
  • From: "Mal Lansell" <mal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 10:55:11 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Chris Hunter <cjhunter@...> wrote:

> ... also, dynamically labeled
> switches are used to de-clutter the instrument panel - so long as
the
> context sensitivity & menu structure is well thought-through, it
can
> work well

In HA, dynamically labelled things seem to be designed to clutter,
not de-clutter the controls.  A screen in a jet replaces a large
number of other controls (it also has to be large, easy to read, and
easy to switch views).  Replacing a simple lightswitch with a little
screen that you have to read, just so that it can do all sorts of
other guff is going in the opposite direction, IMO.

> on the HA front, we're trying to think this through ... one
example
> is with taps ... at the moment, it's necessary either to turn two
> knobs separately & adjust them, and re-adjust them, to get the
> desired result or, as with a lever / mixer tap, move the leaver in
> combination of two directions to set rate & temperature, again
> adjusting the settings as things happens to get the desired
result,
> whereas (IMHOP) it would be much better to have the HA do all that
&
> have (say) two switches (or sensors) on the wall (or floor), one
for
> I-want-to-wash-my-hands, and the other for I-want-to-fill-a-
kettle ...

Now that is something I would not automate.  You have to be standing
at the sink to fill the kettle or wash your hands, so what's so hard
about turning on a tap?  However, a bath may be worth doing since
you can run it unattended, and still get the perfect temperature

> ditto with lighting ... one for mood, one for task, one for
> housework, plus two more for up & down ...

How many scenes do you need?  On, Off and a couple of moods?  A 4 or
6 button switch could do that.  Brightest (all on) at the top,
darkest (all off) at the bottom.  What could be easier?  Anything
more can be done via a remote control or an HA computer responding
to events.  No need to clutter the simple manual interface with all
that.

> ditto with brewing tea ... a timer-function available through
four
> buttons, on the wall by the teapot - one for China, one for
Ceylon,
> one for .... because the optimum brewing times are so different,
and
> I'm fed-up with getting it wrong because I'm deep into e-mails or
> cooking or reading the 'paper, or whatever ...

Wow - are you some kind of tea-nut?  A bag of PG and a quick mash
with a spoon is all I need ;-)

> ditto an alarm-clock function, by the bed ...

Plenty of options here - from a nomal alarm clock (well, it's
already automated if you think about it), to hooking something into
the HA system with gradually brightening lights, music etc.

> ditto ... cooking controls ... etc !

Cookers already come with timers for ovens.  I don't think
automating the hob is a good idea just from a safety point of view.

Mal