Re: RFXCOM to HomeSeer and other HA apps via xAP - and other GUI's ..

  • Subject: Re: RFXCOM to HomeSeer and other HA apps via xAP - and other GUI's ..
  • From: "Mal Lansell" <mal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 08:13:09 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Chris Hunter <cjhunter@...> wrote:

> on fighter aircraft, we've used automation very successfully to
move
> from giving the pilot links to the controls, to giving the pilot
> means to say what he / she wants to happen ... eg: he / she uses
the
> stick & switches to say what is to happen, rather than to move
the
> controls or switch things on & off, per-se ... 'seems to me we
should
> aim to do something similar with HA

When I say there should be a standard switch, I don't necessarily
mean a mechanical device that physically connects or disconnects the
current - I mean that there should be something in the expected
location on the wall with familiar press-to-do something switches or
buttons.  Fly-by-wire is fine - it's the intuitive way the user
interacts with the controls that needs to be preserved, in the same
way that an aircraft retains the familiar controls for the pilot,
even if they are no longer mecahnically linked to the control
surfaces.  That's why dynamically labelled switches and touchscreens
are a bad idea, IMO.

Mal