Re: Windows XP BSOD

Ahh, got you.
AFAIK he did not install any software just before it happened, but I
will double check. He may have done a windows update though.

Does recovery console=safe mode? or something else?

We can't get to a dos prompt as it's currently stuck in a chkdsk loop,
maybe I can get him ot use a Ghost boot disk just to get to a prompt?

I'll get him to look for an updated iastor.sys on the Intel & Dell
sites.

AFAIK it's RAID-capable, but it's currently just a single disk.

Thanks for the pointers :-)

Tim.

On 4/8/07, Paul Gale <groups2@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Not sure what you mean Tim - what did he do right before the problem
occurred originally e.g. did he mess with something or apply an update or
did it just happen on boot up?

> Sounds like the Intel IDE drivers are now bad or corrupted. Next thing
I'd do is to probably boot into the recovery console and try to manually
replace iastore.sys. Of course this may not be the real problem, especially
if there's widespread corruption or hardware failure.

> You could try an in-place upgrade install if the Dell install disk
allows? You may loose Dell customisations though. Would need to prepare a
floppy with the correct Intel drivers on and F6 on booting the CD.

> I didn't also get how you were trying the Dell driver download - was
this on the problem PC or another one? You could try getting it from the
Intel site instead (the Dell driver is probably the Intel driver just
packaged in the Dell wrapper anyway).

> To recover data, you could always install XP on a second disk and then
copy everything across then re-install the original disk from the Dell
recovery CD. Long winded though and you may still need the Intel driver
disk.

> Does the machine have a RAID setup or is it just a single disk?
>
> Paul.

no results, then in
> > > "check and fix" mode and the computer is now stuck
in an endless loop
> > > where it won't boot up. It sticks in chkdsk at "8%
Stage 4 - Verifying
> > > File Data". He's left it overnight and it never budges
from this
> > > point.
> >
> > Tim.
> >

> > On 4/7/07, Paul Gale <groups2@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Most importantly - what did he do to break it?

into a doorstop.
operators can't help
problem and/or think
else).
October last
> > year.

"DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" with
well described here:

> > http://support.euro.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/

ent?c=uk&l=en&s=gen&docid=20D0A093855D3F0AE0401E0A55170808&cs

requirements error" and

including an Intel chipset
not meet the minimum

gave no results, then in