RE: Re: Getting DVDs onto a hard drive

Erm ... neither.

You install AnyDVD which sits as a device driver between your DVD drive and
your PC and this simply removes region coding, DCSS scrambling, copy
protection, function prohibition and the requirement to sit through those
bloody annoying trailers (if you want it to). Hell, you don't even have to
make your DVD drives region free!

You install CloneDVD which is an application that allows you to either rip
an entire non-copy-protected DVD (which of course you have in your drive as
AnyDVD sees to that) intact (all menus, trailers and extras etc.), rip
parts
of a DVD (i.e. you can exclude any sections you know you don't want) or
process existing pre-ripped DVD data files - then apply additional
compression necessary to fit within a required size that you can specify
(i.e. 8cm DVD, single layer DVD, dual layer DVD or "custom"
etc.), strip out
any unwanted audio tracks or subtitles - then write those files out as
either a directory structure (i.e. Movie_Name/VIDEO_TS/... etc.), an ISO
image or to a DVD recorder directly.

Just download AnyDVD and CloneDVD from the website and install them -
there's a 21day trial period on them if they're unregistered and they just
work. AnyDVD is updated regularly (sometimes seems like every few days) as
new protections come out but you can tell it to check for updates each time
it runs and it will do that for you. Same with the CloneDVD application
except that gets updated only infrequently (as you would expect as the
unprotected DVD spec doesn't change).

It doesn't transcode to alternative formats such as DIVX or WMV at all if
that's what you were meaning - it simply allows you to copy DVDs and
manipulate the data on them to give a final DVD format movie.

Phil

effort.

wrote:

> > > www.slysoft.com is all you need...