Latest message you have seen: RE: Re: [OT] Does anyone have...

RE: Lightning

  • Subject: RE: Lightning
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 12:52:10 +0100

> From: Chris Hunter [mailto:cjhunter@xxxxxxx]
>
> Yesterday morning, for half-an-hour or so, we could hear thunder to
the
> south of us that rolled on & on for ages -  much longer than I've
ever
> heard before - over & over, too - but we saw no lightning &
had only a
> quite modest spell of rain ourselves  ...

We have had quite bright and close lightning this morning and torrential
rain. Lost ALL satellite TV as the rain was so hard so my dedicated
"SmoothFM Freeview box" is currently retuned to CBeebies for Kye.

Parts of Great Yarmouth are underwater and the police have closed the roads
to prevent people coming into town.

Lots of sirens from emergency vehicles can be heard.

There is a pub near the river that has been closed for refurbishment for
the
last couple of months after it was flooded 4 times in a week. Not by the
river overflowing but because all the drains in Yarmouth are total C*** and
even moderate rainfall can overwhelm them.

Many moons ago when I were a lad and lived in Lancashire I can remember
looking out of the bedroom window every Monday and seeing a lorry from the
local council come along and lift the drain covers and suck all the rubbish
out to ensure they worked efficiently. I dont think I have EVER seen one of
those around Yarmouth doing "preventative" work, only ever
pumping out when
things are flooded :(

My personal feeling is that a lot of the flooding attributed to
"Global
Warming" is actually partially if not completely due to the erosion of
municipal services to save money whilst simultaneously charging us even
more
for our council tax. As if that isnt bad enough we then have to pay again
in
the form of higher insurance premiums (whether we have claimed or not) due
to all the payouts the insurance companies get hit for.

Keith