RE: Finding a cable within a wall?!

  • Subject: RE: Finding a cable within a wall?!
  • From: "Pete Church" <yahoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:32:18 +0100

>If the route is relatively unobstructed then just get a piece of string
with
>a weight on it and drop it down the wall from the loft until you can
fish
it
>out in the room below. You can then tape on your cable and fish it back
up
>the wall into the loft.

Add to that: if it's a stud wall feed a loop of old steel tape measure
horizontally through your socket opening into the gap between the studs
before you drop the string down.  By the nature of the tape measure it will
expand inside the cavity to run around the perimeter of the gap so that
once
the string is below pulling the tape back through will snare anything that
has dropped through the cavity - a good old lasso!

If, as I think you mentioned, you have insulation in the gap then the only
way to do it really is with a cable rod as you need something stiff so push
past the insulation (the cable itself will just curl up).  If you don't
want
to splash out on proper rods then I've always found old plastic curtain
track quite handy as it is stiff when pushed yet flexible enough to bend
into awkward places.

HTH