Re: [OT] USB, electronics and ground

Just thinking aloud...
Does your UPS have a plain filtered outlet i.e. one that is not
battery-backed?
Maybe if you connect the other devices to that it would give them all
the same earth potential?

HTH,

Tim.

On 9/6/06, Paul Gale <groups@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I seem to have a problem with ground or earthing here. When I plug in
USB devices to my main PC, I get small sparks between the shield and the PC
case. This sometimes causes the PC to hang (not surprisingly!). I guess I
have different ground signals between various kit????

> The PC is powered from an APC smart UPS and the other USB kit is on a
mixture of standard power strips and surge protected strips.