Lightning suppression

  • Subject: Lightning suppression
  • From: James Fidell <james@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 11:12:18 +0100

Our power and phone lines run largely overground and often over the
tops
of hills, so they're fairly susceptible to lightning strikes.  This has
caused me a problem because every time the phone line is hit by
lightning the switch port to which my ADSL router is connected gets
killed.  My 24-port switch is now down to 19 ports :(

I've tried putting Belkin Surgemasters on the phone lines without any
apparent improvement, though this weekend I'll be moving them as close
to the master sockets as possible and recabling some of the phone
connections from there.

Any other hints for mitigating the impact of lightning strikes?

James