Re: Just starting....which Home Automation software for PC?

To be honest, the amount of Perl you have to 'learn' can be pretty
minimal.
There are hundreds of scripts available, that do a vast range of stuff
already, most are  well commented and can be easily hacked to make them
do what you need. After you have used a few and hacked a few, you'll be
ready to put your own together using bits chopped from other examples.
No more difficult than the scripts I've seen for Homeseer, and the
mailing list is very helpful to "I've written this - but if doesn't
work" type posts.

Lee

Mark Golledge wrote:
> Thanks guys,
>
> I've had a look at Misterhouse already - was steering that way except
for
> the small problem of having to learn Perl but I may give it a go!!
>
> Will have a look at the others though but reassuring I can still make
use of
> an old PC!!
>
> Thanks

>>    Mark Golledge wrote:
>>
>>> Just about to start out on the road to Home Automation....
>>>
>>> ...started with XMBC which is great.
>>>
>>> Now I want something more.
>>>

>>> Looking at X10 and would like to load on software to my PC
(currently
>>> storing media but not doing much else).
>>>
>>> I've looked at Homeseer but the spec is 800MHz and my rather
oldish PC
>>> is running 598MHz (512MB RAM).
>>>
>>> Is this PC just not strong enough and am I going to need to
upgrade or
>>> is there something (affordable) that can do the trick?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>> Try MisterHouse (www.misterhouse.com) instead, it's open source so
the
>> price is right and there are people who are running it on 133Mhz
Linksys