Re: Underfloor heating and HA control?

  • Subject: Re: Underfloor heating and HA control?
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <rb.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:40:27 -0000

Just to add, i'd agree with the thermal store tank coupled with a
condensing boiler for efficiency.

We used Nu-Heat.  They have systems for installing under timber decks.
We have in screed on the ground floor and under a timber floor on the
first.

I have to say, I'm really not convinced about HAing UF heating.  In my
experience, it's not necessary.  We worked out a comfortable setting
on a normal 8 zone system nearly five years ago and have never touched
it since.  It just works away in the background and the house stays at
a comfortable temp all year - we never notice the heating come on in
the autumn or off in the spring!  I'm sure it would work equally well
with full HAing but I'm not sure about better.

However... in our case we do have a rather heavily insulated house and
I think that helps because it cools slowly and any external changes
seem to take quite a while to become apparent and that allows the any
lag in heating kick-in to go unnoticed. On the other-side, we found
that we needed to turn down the heating earlier in the evening
otherwise the cooling lag could result in a rather overheated house
but that was sorted within 2 weeks 5 years ago.

Just to prove I'm not iredemably luddite on this, I would (did) put
(dallas) temp monitoring in in several places though.  These display
on the touch screens around the house updated everyminute to 2 decimal
places!

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Benfield, John \(GTI EMEA\)"
<John_Benfield@...> wrote:

> >Are there any particular types of boiler that are more suited to
this
> kind of system?
>
> Paul,
>
> There are a number of boilers that have specific outputs for UFH,
> however the preferred way of doing UFH is with a thermal store -
> basically a big hot water tank. You heat the store using the boiler at
> it's most efficient, the UFH then takes water out of the store at a
much
> lower temperature, normally around 50oC.
>
> Have a look at the UK_Selfbuild FAQ's as they do give some good
> background reading http://www.sbfaq.borpin.co.uk/dokuwiki/doku.php
>
> JB
>
> If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify
the sender, delete it and do not read, act upon, print, disclose,
copy, retain or redistribute it. Click here for important additional
terms relating to this e-mail.     http://www.ml.com/email_terms/