RE: My home automation project (some pics)

  • Subject: RE: My home automation project (some pics)
  • From: "Nigel Giddings" <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 07:17:36 +0100

Chris,

Great photos... The bathroom looks fantastic, did you tile it yourself?
Are you free next week to do a floor for me?

A couple of points on the CAT5e wiring. I would prefer to see the cable
supported in the loft. My preference would be 50mm or 100mm traywork
screwed to the rafters, set off the rafters with spacers so you can get
cable ties behind, and bundle the wires on the tray. You also need to
route the cables to respect the bending radii specifications.

A suggestion here http://node0.corbenic.co.uk/photos/photo23.html

The other comment relates to your Krone Frame. The cables should be
routed to the rear of the blocks and be tied to the small loop on the
back of each block. The conductors are then fanned through the small
slots at the top of the blocks and pushed into the IDC connector. As
Krone blocks were designed for Telco work they do not respect the CAT5e
rule regarding keeping as much twist in the pairs as possible. As a work
around you can keep the twist through the fan slots and then split the
pair as it enters the IDC part.

It is also normal to have each cable terminated on the top of the blocks
with patch wire (jumpers) used to connect from block to block. This
again causes issues with maintaining twists. The krone block was
designed as a flexibility point, hence the jumper. If you never intend
to change the cross connects it would be OK to wire both the In and Out
cable to the same block but you will struggle with attaching the cables
as you will have twice as many as the block is designed for..

A picture here http://node0.corbenic.co.uk/photos/photo12.html
which
shows the cables going behind the blocks and some sign of 'jumpers'...
It is a bit tidier than this now, honest...

HTH

Nigel