RE: Home Cinema

  • Subject: RE: Home Cinema
  • From: "Nigel Giddings" <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 09:35:16 +0100

Phil,

I bought a Barco Data BD808 (not the S version) so it's the basic 808.
Ideally I would have got a BG (Graphics) 808S but I didn't want to wait
around for I don't know how long and the BD808 was a good price...

The 808 uses 8" tubes so it's middle of the road, better than a 7 but
not as good as a 9!

The 808 also have electromagnetic focus rather than electrostatic and
can be fully set up but remote control with memories rather than lots of
Pots. You can also save settings to a PC and download later. I am very
impressed so far. It has RGBHV, RGsB, Composite and S-Video inputs
although no YUV... you can also get HDMI (HDCP) to RGBHV converters so
no problem with DRM....

My wife and I watch quite a few films on the TV and we do go to the
cinema once a month or so she was already on side. I gave a quick demo
of progress so far using an underpowered PC and a not fully set up PJ
and she was really taken with it. She said later that she nearly said
stop what you are doing (finishing the house) and lets watch the film
(Notting Hill was playing).

Can you set it temporarily to try to get SWMBO on side????

Pound for Pound S/H CRT beats LCD/DLP no contest... As I said earlier
though having a Behemoth hanging from the ceiling can be an issue.....

With two projectors you could also consider stacking (double brightness)
or blending (side by side for higher resolution super wide screen) but
that definately wouldn't get SWMBO approval :-(