VGA or DVI ?

DVI or VGA - is the difference worth the candle, I wonder ?   Also,
some
LCD screens seem to connect by both VGA & DVI interfaces - presumably
that means they are really just VGA & when connected via DVI they are
really just connecting to the VGA parts of the DVI socket ... or am I
just being just too cynical ?

How I hate this double-dealing PC world, where the wheels are extra &
being straight-forward cannot be taken for granted !

Chris