Re: PC Remote shutdown - APS/XBMC/Remote!?

  • Subject: Re: PC Remote shutdown - APS/XBMC/Remote!?
  • From: "noel_pilot" <HA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 09:35:26 -0000

ooh that sounds interesting, especially if i don't actually have to
have a UPS!!
I have it set to turn on when power is restored so once i've shut it
down i turn the plug socket off with an X10 appliance module so this
sounds perfect!!

anyone any more details on this?! will go and have a look for
powerchute and fingers crossed i can get xbmc to send the network
message!!

Thanks
Noel

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Tim Hawes" <timsyahoo@...> wrote:

> Someone was looking at this a while ago, IIRC.
> Their intended solution was to use the UPS *software* running the PC
> and then trigger the shutdown by sending a network message which
> PowerChute (or whatever) would pick up and interpret as coming from a
> real UPS.
>
> Like there is a "wake on LAN" facility where you can start a
PC on
> receipt of a magic packet, isn't there a corresponding "sleep on
LAN"
> too?
>
> Dunno if there's a xAP/xPL solution as well.
>
> HTH,
>
> Tim.
>
> On 11/14/06, noel_pilot <HA@...> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Looking for a way to shutdown my pc remotely without touching it!
> >
> > Found a few mentions on xbmc old forums of how to do it with a
script
> > from XBMC but the software install was german and wouldnt work
for
me :(