RE: FreeView HDMI ?

  • Subject: RE: FreeView HDMI ?
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 20:05:36 -0000

> Anyone ever heard of a FreeView box with HDMI ?

Been looking for one that has component video output and can upscale to
720p
for myself ...

... Haven't seen one yet tho.

> I know it's not HD, but then neither is DVD and you get
> plenty of those with HDMI these days.  I realise that DVD is
> higher res than FreeView,

*cough* No it's not ... 768 x 576 pixels is defined as PAL resolution and
both Freeview and DVD work to that standard. However the compression
applied
to Freeview is greater which is why the resolution appears to be less.

> so perhaps it's not able to upscale
> well enough.

Not seen the output from a Windows MCE machine playing a Freeview source
signal upscaled to 720p or output at native panel resolution then? Looks
great!

> It just seems strange to connect digital TV
> with analogue ports.

Ahhhh ... One of life's great mysteries eh?

Phil