Re: Digital photo frames comparison

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 10:04:22 -0000, you wrote:

... First problem, - how to work out the area of any given display? - most
products seem to give just one measurement,  - this I presume is the
diagonal
which is traditionally the measurement given for all kinds of screens.
... - how in the heck do I use that to deduce the area of a 5.7 inch
display?

Cheers

Paul G.

Apologies if this is done before I get mine posted, but sometimes it seems
my
posts don't show up for ages!

Right, let's give it a go.
First we'll assume the displays are in the standard 4:3 screen ratio.
So, the area of the screen in square units (inches, feet, cm, microns etc.)
is equal to the hypotenuse squared times 12 divided by 25.
So, for the given 5.7inch diagonal, we have:
5.7 x 5.7 = 32.49
32.49 x 12 = 389.88
389.88 / 25 = 15.595
As we are working in inches in this case, the answer is 15.595 square
inches.

If we are working in the wide-screen 16:9 ratio, then it's the same  (but
different, if you see what I mean!).
The area of the screen in square units is equal to the hypotenuse squared
times 144 divided by 337.
So, for the 5.7inch diagonal, we have:
5.7 x 5.7 = 32.49
32.49 x 144 = 4678.56
4678.56 / 337 = 13.883
As we are working in inches in this case, the answer is 13.883 square
inches.

Using any more than 3 decimal places is a little overkill, I think...

As you say, 25 years of little if any use makes you a bit rusty, but I
think
the above is right! (Please, anyone, let me/us know if it's not!)

Steve.