Re: Cat5e and rg6 for newbuild

'no idea whether the PF100 is good or not, but when Cat-5 cable has
been
discussed before it emerged that there are various qualities ... and
many recommendations, though one of the problems in assessing which to
follow is that very few people actually measure the transfer-rates they
are getting ... their cables may work, but how well is unclear ... (!)

Chris

Jim Noble wrote:

>On 5 Nov 2006, at 14:35, nicecorrado wrote:
>

>>What quality cat5 should I go for in my newbuild? How about
>>this ,http://www.platinumhome.ie/shop/product_info.php?
>>cPath=95_99&products_id=414   or is it too good?
>>

>That seems a little pricey for cat5 :-o
>
>What does constitute "quality" when it comes to cat5 cable
anyway?
>I've heard that some are easier to pull than others, but electrically
>they should all be "good enough" (just make sure it's cat5e
if you
>want to do gigabit?)...
>

>>I like the fact that it comes in several colours,
>>

>Any colour you like so long as it's red...? :-)
>

>>Is it best to go for rg6 or will the likes of ct100 or ct125 be ok?
>>

>"rg6" tells you nothing about the suitability of the cable
AIUI (just