Re: Decent Network Switch

  • Subject: Re: Decent Network Switch
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 13:52:51 -0000

Thanks to all who replied,  - must admit, I've never had cause to=20
be "down" on Netgear either, - have used there kit in the past
and=20
always been satisfied with it, so it's good to hear that view=20
reinforced. Looks like it may well be the Netgear then (Yes it is a=20
blue one!)

Before I order, I just need to try & check s few technical details, -
specifically I want to know if this Netgear supports jumbo=20
frames... - doesn't seem to be obvious so far (still searching the=20
netgear site).

Cheers

Paul G.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Phil Harris" <phil@...> wrote:

>=20
> Just personal preference but given a choice between NetGear (as=20
long as it's
> the "blue" stuff and not the domestic "silver")
and D-Link (well,=20
Netgear
> and *ANYTHING* reasonably priced) I would *ALWAYS* go for=20
NetGear ... I have
> *NEVER* been let down by a bit of "blue" NetGear kit.
>=20
> (The "silver" domestic stuff is a different story!)
>=20
> Phil=20=20=20
>=20
ordered=20
> > up today if possible so I can install it ASAP.
> >=20
> > I'd prefer to get a rackmount one, so I'm looking at between=20
> > 16-24 port GB switches. Managed is a nice to have, but=20
> > frankly not essential...
> >=20
> > Looking around a couple of my usual suppliers of PC kit, I've=20
come
> > across:
> >=20=20
> > D-LINK DGS-1216T (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=3D324)
for=20
> > =A3180 at Scan,
> >=20
> > Netgear JGS516UK
> > (http://www.netgear.co.uk/mountable_network_switch_jgs516.php)
> >  for =A3150 at Ebuyer,
> >=20
> > Not to mention a few others...
> >=20
> > Does anyone have any strong thoughts or recommendations with=20
> > regard to either of these, or more precisely between the=20
> > various mainstream manufacturers (Netgear, DLINK, USR,=20
> > Linksys, Belkin, 3COM, et al)...
> >=20
> > Many thanks.
> >=20
> > Paul G.
> >=20
> > (* "fix" implies some strongly percussive
maintenance...)