RE: Decent Network Tester...

  • Subject: RE: Decent Network Tester...
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 14:47:00 +0100

> > That one just seems to be a simple continuity based unit
> (albeit with
> > an LCD
> > display) though - it doesn't test for split pairs...
> >
> > Phil
> >

> Shame, as I've seen a few people wire the split pairs
> incorrectly (even some wiring contractors putting CAT5 into
> an office several years ago)
>
> Andy

Exactly - I had been suffering a really low uplink speed on my cablemodem
service for ages (2.5kbytes/sec tops with frequent drop outs). I found out
that it was the cable between my router and the cablemodem that was at
fault
which was annoying (I had "borrowed" it from a previous-previous
employer as
it was a nice long lead) so I replaced the cable and dumped the
"faulty"
cable back in a box for when I could be arsed to do something with it.

I happened to try that cable with the LanScaper yesterday and that turned
out to be a mis-split pair (blue-white and green-white transposed)...

Phil