Re: Using MCE as a DVD server

I always extract just the main feature.  I'm not interested in all the
other guff that gets included with DVDs, and I especially can't be arsed
with being forced to watch trailers, anti-piracy warnings, copyright
messages and pointless menus.  When I click play, I get to see the movie
and nothing else - just as it should be (aside: I get especially p'd off
with retail DVDs that force you to watch the mood-killing anti-piracy
trailer.  Talk about preaching to the converted!).

With DVD2One, it's just a couple of mouse clicks and about 10 minute
processing to compress the DVD to the 4.5Gb that will fit on a DVD-R.
To extract just the movie is a simple case of ticking a box.  For
anything more sophisticated, DVDShrink has all the options.  With both
programs you can also remove unnecessary soundtracks and subtitles.

A movie reduced from the original ~6Gb to 4.5Gb looks just the same to
my eye, and means less HDs to buy for the server :-)

Mal

Paul Gordon wrote:

>I also use DVDDecrypter, but currently, I don't do any post processing
to reduce the size - haven't really needed to so far, with a 1.6TB RAID
volume to store them on... - however, at the rate I'm going, that volume is
going to be full around October, so perhaps I should look at doing some
shrinking!

>How easy is it to do, and how much time & effort does it take? - I
presume it's a fairly manual process, - every DVD being slightly different
& so on... - I can't afford to spend a lot of time doing it at the
moment,  so something I could just point at the VIDEO_TS folder and click
"go" would be great.. - Plus I get fairly lost with some of the
myriad options that seem to be available... (I don't know what "stream
processing" is!!)

>I also don't want to do any (further) compression of the main movie
part, I want to retain the original quality. I'd be happy enough to strip
out alternate language soundtracks, FBI warnings, and perhaps some of the
extra's and so on.