[OT] New motherboard questions

  • Subject: [OT] New motherboard questions
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 14:45:33 +0100

Hi All,

I am calling upon the wealth of information that is UKHA_D  :)

Looking for a new motherboard for one of my PC's but I havent got a clue
what to buy !!!!

Is there a website somewhere that gives a straightforward indication of the
effective speed of a CPU as I am totally confused by all the different
ranges of Intel and AMD chips :(

I realise that it depend what programs you are running etc but I dont play
games. As yet I havent done any video editing although I might at some
stage
in the future. This is just for a general machine for web/email and
designing PCB's on.

Previously my machines have all tended to be AMX rather than Intel but both
my Dell Laptop and Server are Celerons.

A couple of multiport capture devices I am looking at have the following
system requirements

http://www.grandtec.com/xguard.htm
Intel Pentium II 500 or above, Pentium III 800 is recommended.
Not 100% compatible with Celeron or non-Intel-based processors.

http://www.grandtec.com/xguardUSB.htm
Intel Pentium 4, 1.0 Ghz minimum
Not 100% compatible with Celeron or non-Intel-based processors.

Does anyone know what "Not 100% compatible" means ?
What cant Celerons and AMD chips do ?

I am also confused by AGP slots. Are these backwards compatable ?
eg could a new mobo with a AGP 8x take the existing AGP graphics card ?

I'm not looking to create a state of the art machine, I just want to make
it
a bit faster.

Thanks

Keith