From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx on behalf of noughtomate
Sent: Thu 30/03/2006 13:54
To: UKHA_D Group
Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Controlling MythTV from the network?

Sky's strategy has always been to remain a closed architecture.
Aside from being a content and delivery supplier, they have perhaps
one of the PVR strongest presence in the UK market.

It's not in their interests to develop a Sky capture card as it
would spell the death of Sky+.

It's a pain in the ar5e to us consumers who want to capture premium
Sky quality, but can't. Video capture via S-Video / Scart from Sky
to a TV card is substandard compared to a direct DVB card.

I just pray that BT's IPTV (think it's called BT Vision) gives them
a serious run for their money and they decide to change their
strategy.

You never know - Sky HD may be better.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Gale" <groups@...> wrote:

> Oh, and another question - does anyone use MythTV in conjunction
with Sky+ in any way - what do you do? It's such a shame Sky+ is
such a closed system!

> Paul.

Behalf Of Paul Gale
> Sent: 30 March 2006 12:46
> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> Subject: [ukha_d] Controlling MythTV from the network?
>
> Just been looking at Myth - looks good :-)
>
> Was thinking of using an old box with a medium speed CPU (enough
to playback as I don't need encoding support - yet) and putting it
in Node0. A couple of things spring to mind:

> Remote control - either get a supported IR device and control it
via my IR network OR use the supported telnet method and somehow get
HomeVision to run the telnet commands on receipt of an IR command
via the IR network?

> Video output - since my video matrix switcher is composite only
(good enough for most feeds), I'd need to distribute composite - no
problem but my 50" plasma is the one display in the house that would
notice the lack of quality. I also have component and VGA inputs to
the plasma but as they are already in use, I'd need either a VGA or
Component switcher which would probably be fairly expensive?