Latest message you have seen: Re: [OT] Old laptop wanted with parallel port

RE: {Definitely Spam?} RE: {Definitely Spam?} RE: PCB Design Software?

  • Subject: RE: {Definitely Spam?} RE: {Definitely Spam?} RE: PCB Design Software?
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 20:50:59 -0000

Hi Ian

> Have you tried the Electra autorouter they are touting these days? Any
> hearsay or other opinions?

No.

> Typically I have avoided them as I find they are more trouble than
they
> are worth

I chose the wrong upgrade path a couple of years ago when I upgraded.

It was the same cost for me to go...

Level 1 to Level 1+ = 1000 pin limit to 2000 pin limit

or

Level 1 to Level 2 = Rip Up and Retry Autorouter + Autoplacement

Sadly I chose the latter so still have a 1000 pin limit and to upgrade to
Level 2+ would cost me about ?400.

I have tried the autorouter on several occasions an I do not like the
results one bit. I probably havent studied it in depth enough to have a bit
more control over it but I simply dont like the way it routed the tracks.

As an example, I took my manually routed Mk1 KAT5 PCB which is single sided
and only has 3 wire links and removed all the tracks and told it to route
the board. IT FAILED EVEN ON DOUBLE SIDED.

Likewise with the Autoplacement of components. There must be some method of
giving it a hint of what you want it to do but from what I have seen so far
the same results could be obtained by laying a blank PCB on the desk,
putting all the components in your hand and throwing them up in the air and
seing where they land !!!

I am pefectly happy with the manual features but I just cant get the auto
stuff the think the same way I do !!!!

Keith