Latest message you have seen: Bye Bye Standby Motion Sensor

Re: HDPLC and HomePlug are to Power Line Networking as.......

This certainly sounds similar - the technology seems to exist in a
fairly
mature form.

www.physorg.com/news2589.html

There were retail boxes for the Panasonic kit, they could have been
mock-ups, I did not pick one up to look closely but I have no reason to
doubt them. The demo included video from an HD-PLC enabled CCTV camera. The
CEPCA web site shows a good number of CE manufacturers as promoter members;
Hitachi, Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, Pioneer, Yamaha, Mitsubishi plus a
number
of contributors from the electronic and manufacturing industries.

The chap I spoke to said that retail boxed items as on the stand 'may' be
available through retail however direct integration into equipment was
where
they were heading in the main. I guess it will be the usual story -
products
aimed at early adopters will come soon with mass market availability to
follow. I would think that mass market adoption in 3 years is as good an
estimation as any.

In my opinion Homp Plug AV will see general availability as a connectivity
solution a lot sooner, I think Home Plug will remain in the realm of the
network connected broadband user with the AV product having appeal to those
who follow at the level of reading lists such as this. When HDPLC enabled
kit hits the shelves it will simply be a feature that works and unless the
two technologies can function in the presence of each other (even without
interoperability) then the priority and choice of direction will be highly
subjective. I think the common integration into devices will be the
deciding
factor!

In the mean time I still love Home Plug. I have 5 devices connected with
basic 14Mbps modules, a 14Mbps AP made by Billion and a couple of audio
devices (review still be come) and it all works really well in my house.

Regards,

David