Re: Need help to automate my food management.

  • Subject: Re: Need help to automate my food management.
  • From: "christopher purves" <CHRIS_PURVES@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 09:39:57 +0000

It would actually really help us. My wife does the waitrose shop every
sunday night but the nanny uses most of the food up in the week for the
kids
so by the time I get involved usuing up a few things she really has no idea
what we need. If there was a list ready and waiting of what had gone it
would make life much easier.

Chris

>From: Lehane Kellett <lehane@xxxxxxx>
>To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Need help to automate my food management.
>Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 09:30:58 +0000
>
>Lots of ways to do it, depending on cost and effort-
>
>Add a 'keyboard wedge' scanner to a PC, these come up on ebay for
£10 up.
>Everything you scan looks like a keyboard input. Or use a serial
scanner
>and
>one of the input interfaces. Either way a simple piece of software (or
even
>Excel will do the job).
>
>Next up the scale is to get a secondhand Palm PDA with built in scanner
>- again
>these are around secondhand, made by Symbol. There's software, such as
>Scanlite, which will do the job and Hotsync the list into whatever you
>want.
>
>At the top end, one of the new Windows 2003 PDA's from Intermec,
Symbol,
>et al., have a scanner and WiFi built in. You can scan into a browser
>application
>_and_ use them for home automation control. But not cheap.
>
>There are a number of failed companies in the retail industry that have
>tried keyring
>scanners, etc., but not got anywhere.
>
>And the big question, do you really want the same can of beans again?
>
>Lehane
>
>christopher purves wrote:
> > I would be very interested in this. Ideally a scanner in the
kitchen
>that
> > you zap barcodes of stuff we have run out of thatg build a
shopiing
>list.
> > Something like that.

> >> From: Andy <andysideas@xxxxxxx>
> >> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> >> Subject: [ukha_d] Need help to automate my food management.
> >> Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 21:36:30 +0000
> >>
> >> We've all seen 'the tech house of the future' on TV shows.
> >>
> >> It seems to me that I've been waiting ever since Tommorows
World was on
>TV
> >> in the 80's. I even remember them talking about being able to
press a
> >> button
> >> on a TV trailer and have it added to a schedule. Well god
knows how
>many
> >> years, and I see Sky now have this feature !
> >>
> >> Anyway, back to the topic.
> >>
> >> I'm your bog standard bloke. Stuck at home with no idea what
>ingredients I
> >> have in stock, and even once I've sifted through the
cupboards I still
> >> don't
> >> know what to cook !
> >>
> >> So I know we're not there yet where were are able zap
barcodes and have
>the
> >> fridge suggest recipes. But can anyone recommend anything
that is
>possible
> >> today?
> >>
> >> I've only seen one website where you can enter ingredients
and search
>for
> >> recipes, but its pretty rubbish.
> >>

> >> Hope I've got the question across in this long winded
email......