Re: [OT] XBMC AVI Playback

On 08/03/06, Nigel Giddings <nigel@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Simon,
>
> Well you are making progress...
>
> What is the connectivity between the two PCs and the Xbox?
> Are all three items are on the same switch (not hub)?

Yes, the 3 PCs and the XBOX in the house are all on the same 10/100 switch

> Is there an issue with the NIC in the problematic PC (Full Duplex)? It
> may be worth swapping it out for an alternative so you can be sure.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare NIC here, but I set the NIC in the
PC to full duplex (was set to 'auto') but it didn't make any
difference.

> I was surprised how sensitive the Xbox was to link quality, I thought
it
> was an XBMC issue rather than a LAN issue initially. It was only the
> Xbox that showed the issue, depending on the weather, first with TiVo
> Streaming, then downloaded TV programs, followed by Xvid - DivX films
> with MP3s not affected (However most MP3s are from a PC local to
Xbox).
> I suppose this highlights the fact that the TiVo stream uses the
highest
> data rates followed by TV downloads while ripped Films are at slightly
> lower data rate.

I have taken my HDD, used an IDE-USB converter, plugged it into my
USB1.1 hub on my PIII 733 Kitchen PC, and shared it - the XBOX works
100% with that!!

So I have now established that something is (badly) wrong with the
media serving PC,

Many thanks to everyone for their help!!

Simon