Re: [OT] HD LCD TV - 26" recommendations?

  • Subject: Re: [OT] HD LCD TV - 26" recommendations?
  • From: Ian Oliver <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 20:37:27 +0100

In article=20
<46e456080606101118g76098e22sf7895ac3ddae78a8@xxxxxxx>, Simon=20
McCaughey wrote:
> Can you tell me what you were tweeking, or point me in the direction
> of the instructions for doing so...?

My main issue with the TV was a brightness flickering when using an=20
external source. Using movie mode fixes this - it seems that movie mode=20
disables some dynamic settings that you don't normally have access to.

I say normally because, with the TV off, Info, Menu, Mute, Power (one=20
press each, in that order) gets you the engineering menu. Then you use=20
the second menu (Option Table?) and go to the dynamic_ce and turn it=20
off (hit right twice). You can also turn off dynamic_dim. Power off the=20
TV to save the settings. Your picture and audio settings will have=20
reverted to default and will need setting up again.

I'm not totally sure what all of these dynamic toggles do, but with=20
them turned off, the settings other than movie are much better. But I=20
still think movie does something else, so I use it all the time.

I also set contrast to 85, brightness to 55, sharpness to 35 and colour=20
to 35. I set the colour tone to "normal".  Also setting Energy
Saving=20
to "Low" seems to help get the blacks a bit blacker. This setup
lets=20
you use movie (most/all dynamics off?) and still get a good picture=20
with decent blacks.

Note that each source has its own picture and sound setting, so go to=20
each and select movie for picture.

Note that the engineering menu gives you many ways to totally arse=20
things up. If you're going to use movie all the time then just skip=20
this step.

Ian Oliver
Sunny Leeds, UK
Using Java on Tini for control via Dallas 1-wire