Re: PAL Slingbox on Sale in the UK!

It uses IR. It has a sort of odd arrangement of two wires terminating
in=20
L shaped emitters, which you can put one overhanging above and one below=20
the remote sensor (or maybe both on the same side). It's hard to=20
describe but looking from the side it would be a bit like this

----------------------------ooooo     <----- Emitter
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D\  0
Sky+
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D/  0
----------------------------ooooo

where the 'o' are the emitters. They have a sticky tape thing on that=20
you can fasten them with but they seem to just rest there ok at the=20
moment. I'm guessing you can probably just make do with one of them but=20
as I was sneaking the box in SWMBO stealth mode I didn't have time for a=20
lot of fiddling. It works wells though, I've not had much joy with=20
remote IR control the the Sky box before.

I use it with a Telewest cable connection. I forget what the downstream=20
speed is as they keep changing it (4Mbs or something). However I think=20
it is limited to 384 Kbps upstream which Slingbox happily gobbles up. I=20
know that when I log into my ZoneMinder box to view video it pretty much=20
prevents any kind of interactive session over the same connection (as=20
all the upstream bandwidth is used) and this is the same. I somehow=20
suspect using the SlingBox and ZM over the same connection might be=20
ugly! But just the SlingBox is fine. I will try and do some experiments=20
with bandwidth to see what level you might need for acceptable viewing.

Phil

Paul Gale wrote:
> How does it connect to Sky+ to control it - just IR or does it use the
mo=
re robust RF control method?

> Oh, and what type of Internet connection do you have - this will
obviousl=
y limit your data rate at work.

> Paul.
>

>=20=20=20