Re: PAL Slingbox on Sale in the UK!

I picked one up yesterday from PC World, which hadn't been showing
any=20
stock all of last week but suddenly got some in and now everywhere seems=20
to have them.

I have to say I am rather impressed. It was easy to set up with Sky+ and=20
supports pretty much all the functionality via the remote. Most of the=20
config is a case of just choosing from presets so for me it was more or=20
less a case of choosing UK -> DVR -> Sky+ and job done. I was a
bit=20
concerned that if someone else was watching Sky then it would be a bit=20
useless but you can also configure the built in digital tuner and use=20
that as a source as well, though you have to rerun the setup wizard to=20
do so which results in having to re-enter some info twice. Not having a=20
freeview box or anything I was also surprised by the range and quality=20
of the channels it picked up there.

The streaming quality is not at all bad, I think it was about 1000-1400=20
Kbps at home, the only negatives being that I don't think the audio is=20
perfectly sync'd to the video sometimes. I've just tried it for the=20
first time outside of home and I'm getting 300-350 Kbps here. It=20
stutters slightly now and again, especially when changing channels or=20
using the remote but other than that it is perfectly watchable at quite=20
large resolutions and way way better than the sort of streaming video=20
you get from 'live' websites, which was sort of what I was expecting. I=20
would imagine it will take a major hit if the kids are at home=20
downloading music etc but so far so good.

If you're looking for something you can stick on at work to keep an eye=20
on the cricket or football over the next few weeks I would thoroughly=20
recommend it! Now to see if I can get it running on my phone!

Phil