[OT] Rogue apostrophes. Was "Burgler proof screws, nuts n' bolts ?"

  • Subject: [OT] Rogue apostrophes. Was "Burgler proof screws, nuts n' bolts ?"
  • From: "Steve Morgan" <smorgo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 18:32:20 +0100

It is a place of learning, though; often about topics other than home
automation.

In general, I'm reasonably good with apostrophes. The one circumstance that
I always have problems with is when pluralising abbreviations. I have a
tendency to put an apostrophe after the abbreviation, such as MOT's. I'm
sure it's not right, but MOTs just doesn't look right. If you treat the
apostrophe as replacing letters in the original text that's being
abbreviated, then it might be OK. I'm so confused :-(

Any opinions?=20

Steve

debate altogether).

> >=20=20
> >
> >>Are there any manufacturers that can provide proprietary=20
> screw's with=20
> >>a unique head
> >>=20=20=20=20
> >>

> >Just a plural again, so "screws".  Now, the killer:
> >
> >=20=20
> >
> >>but I assume I'd need nut's and bolts as well.=20
> >>=20=20=20=20
> >>

> >"I would", so that's ok.  Bolts is a plural, so that's
fine.=20