Latest message you have seen: Re: TiVo About to Re-launch in the UK

Re: [OT] DVDR question

Keith Doxey wrote:
> Hi Lee
>

>>> 1. Does a self recorded DVD get a region code assigned to
it,in which case it would be Region 2 as that is what the playback region
is, or will it be region free ?

>> It is on the cheap DVD recorders, but I've no experience of the
more
>> expensive models. It may just be easier to rip your own DVD with
>> DVD-Shrink and remove the RE on the way.
>>

> Hmmm. By "cheap DVD recorder" I assume you mean the strange
far eastern
> brands. The new Philips one I have just been sent is in the current
Argos
> catalogue @ ?129.99

Far eastern - absolutely, the ones that don't worry too much about
things like region encoding :)
>>> for someone to put it in a PC and play it back ?
>>>
>> Absolutely. Though if it is region encoded they will need a little
>> something to get around the region encoding on their PC. There are
>> several bits of software which sit in the background to do this.
>>

> Might have to send it over and get them to try it.

Nothing but a bit of postage to loose!
>>> change it which I didnt in case I couldnt change it back
again!!!

>> Generally this is the region protection onboard the DVD drive
itself. It
>> will normally let you change the region five time and then 'stick'
at
>> the last one, at which point it will be too late to do anything
about
>> it. Your best course of action is to go to RPC1.ORG and see if
there is
>> a region free version of the firmware for your drive.
>>

> I realise that I can change mine a few times before it
"sticks" but I dont
> really want to change it anyway. I only have 2 or 3 DVDs that are not
Region
> 2 and I have more than enought other DVD players to stick them in :)

I see what your saying, but best to sort the firmware out sooner rather
than later. A friend of mines son (10 years old) has been playing his
laptop and after the five changes has left the laptop DVD drive stuck in
US mode....  :(
They only have one US DVD....
> If I sent the disk over and it turned out to be region coded, would
they
> still be able to use something like DVDshrink to rip it on their own
PC or
> would the drive not read it without the region being correct?

Technically no, it shouldn't read it without the region being correct.
But a bit of software running on their PC will get around that issue.

Lee